Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, April 12, 2010

Eczema :-(

Watching my son suffer through baby eczema was a heart wrenching and helpless experience. He was only 12 months old when he got his first major breakout. Eugene had his baby eczema on both sides of his leg, a tiny patch on his both elbow and a little area on his back. On his monthly check ups, I would ask our pediatrician if there was any type of cure or treatment for this disease. She explained that there is no cure currently available and I that I could only ease some of the itchy symptoms.
Some of the early advice I was given to treat my son’s baby eczema was to keep his skin moisturized and clean, make sure he doesn’t scratch the infected areas, and make sure that I avoid him from over heating and sweating. These steps did have a little effect on my son’s skin condition but it didn’t last too long. So I decided to try some of the popular over the counter baby eczema creams like hydrocortisone. When hydrocortisone stopped working, I gave in and tried some of the prescription creams and ointments containing stronger corticosteroids. BIG MISTAKE… because my son suffered some of the side effects of using these prescription creams and ointments! I’ve learned that some of the side effects of using corticosteroids can lead to even more itching and burning, acneiform eruption, growth retardation and delayed weight gain.
Learning from this painful experience, I decided to do my own research on ways to treat baby eczema. What I found was both very enlightening and very shocking. The thing that was very enlightening was that treating baby eczema really came down to a handful of factors. Two major factors to treating this disease are reducing your baby’s pain and stress naturally. One of the best tips I’ve found useful was eliminating a lot of the preservatives and artificial colorings from my son’s and I diets because they are found to be the most common foods that causes baby eczema.
What I found shocking is that a lot of pediatricians and doctors don’t mention the natural alternative to treating baby eczema. So I urge all mothers and fathers who have a child who suffers from baby eczema to do there own research and look into natural ways of treating this life hampering disease.

0 comments: